Preparing your emergency/survival kit.
When you think about natural disasters and how to be prepared for them, one of the most important tools to survive is to have a good Emergency kit in your home. There are different options that you can buy online, but you can also build your own and accommodate it to your family specific needs. Even though you can add unique items to yours, there are some things that are basic to any emergency kit and that we recommend that you should have when making your own, those are:
- First-Aid Kit (Pain relievers, bandages different sizes, instant cold pads, antibiotic ointment, antiseptic solution, scissors, thermometer, disposable gloves, adhesive tape, cotton balls, eye solution, soap and a hand sanitizer, anti-diarrhea medication, antihistamine, cold medication, first aid manual, etc.).
- Flash light (with extra batteries).
- Water-enough for at least three days (One gallon per person per day).
- Non-perishable food for at least three days and a can opener if needed. Examples: Proteins or fruit bars, dried fruits, canned juice, granola, can food, avoid foods that can make you and your family thirsty.
- Cash and change.
- Copies of important documents (identifications, bank accounts, insurances, etc.)
- Prescription medicine.
- Matches and candles in a waterproof container.
- Battery powered radio (extra batteries).
- Complete change of clothing.
- Moist towelettes.
- Infant supplies (Diaper, formula, wipes, bottles).
- Feminine supplies.
- Food and water for your pets.
- Garbage bags.
- Sleeping bag or a blanket.
- Cellphone fully charge.
It is also important to remember to maintain your kit and replace any items as needed at least every six months.
An emergency kit is only one of the things that you can do to be prepared for any kind of disaster, but it is the one that can make the difference and help you survive after the storm.