How Can I Protect My Home From Flood Damage?
Technicians Offer Professional Flood Damage Mitigation for Jefferson Homes
Home flooding is the most common natural disaster in the continental United States. While the surface-level damage caused by floodwater, silt, debris, and contaminants is overwhelming enough on its own, flooding also requires rapid mitigation because of the damage it can do behind wall cavities and beneath floors.
SERVPRO offers emergency-response flood damage mitigation for Jefferson residents. Theses Institute of Inspection Cleaning and Restoration Certification (IICRC) accredited technicians, provide comprehensive disaster cleanup that includes the following:
- A thorough initial inspection by a SERVPRO crew chief to develop a plan of action for saving your home from flood damage.
- A rapid-response team that is available day and night to restore your home, including on weekends and holidays.
- In-depth extraction, sanitation, and drying can be accomplished with SERVPRO’s own power sources when yours have been affected by flooding.
- Restoration and rebuilding services provide cost-effective home cleanup while safely minimizing loss of structures and contents.
Preventative and Emergency Measures for Home Flooding
Be Prepared Before Disaster Strikes
- Formulate an emergency plan with your family before a disaster. Keep an emergency kit at the ready with enough first aid, shelf-stable food, water, medicine, and other necessities for everyone.
- Keep photos and digital copies of documents, valuables, and other items and store this data in a safe, off-site location.
- Consult with licensed professionals about implementing landscaping, drainage systems, waterproofing, or barriers that can lessen the impact of home flooding.
During the Flood
- Monitor the situation with an NOAA (National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration) weather radio.
- Move important documents and other valuables to higher ground or an upper floor. Make use of sandbags for fast-acting diversion of floodwater.
- Focus on personal safety for yourself and your loved ones above all else. Avoid making contact with floodwater and focus on keeping occupants safe until the disaster has passed.
After Flooding Subsides
- Do not make contact with floodwater and avoid interacting with electrical components affected by flooding.
- Call your insurer as soon as possible to file a claim. A prompt filing is more likely to provide faster service and compensation from your insurance provider.
- Document damage with photos, video, and detailed descriptions of affected structures and property before performing any temporary repairs.
SERVPRO is ready to coordinate with property owners and insurance adjusters to ensure that cleanup is performed per IICRC standards and your insurance policy.
How SERVPRO Restores Flood-Damaged Belongings
SERVPRO techs have the resources to take the content of your home off-site for thorough cleaning. This process, called a pack out, entails technicians documenting, packing, and moving damaged items room by room for restoration. This process not only bolsters your proof of loss claim with extensive written, photo, and video evidence, but it also strives to prevent loss to a variety of items in your home, including:
- Books and documents
- Electronics and digital media
- Keepsakes, heirlooms, and antiques
- Collectibles, jewelry, and artwork
- Children’s toys and items of sentimental value
SERVPRO of Dover / Stillwater offers mitigation that is Faster to Any Size Disaster. Call (973) 810-2825 for an emergency response team to come to your home.
Learn more about Jefferson, NJ.